A little birdy tells me we are in for a very hot summer, so with this in mind I thought I’d come up with tried and tested strategies to keep us cool this summer.
The secret is to keep your core temperature down, having a fan in the room is good for comfort but doesn’t really do the trick. So try these:
- Have 2-3 bottles of drinking water in the freezer overnight, so that when you take one out it melts but still ice cold, and drink at least 2 per day. Don’t forget to replenish every night.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and keep in the fridge, add a drop of Lavender or eucalyptus oil (if liked) and have a lovely cold spray every time you pass the fridge.
- Soak 2-3 old towels in water, you know the hand towels that have worn a bit thin (we all have them) ring them out, put them in a plastic bag and pop in the freezer, then the next day pull out and put around the back of your neck or on your forehead, it won’t drip if you have rung them out well enough and it will be lovely and cold. You can add some essential oils to the water here as well. Put them back in as they warm up and get the next one out! You can also do the same with flannels but put them in the arm pits.
- Fill a hot water bottle with ice cubes and place either on your tummy or legs.
- Stock up on the fruit Ice blocks or make your own, have as many as you like, it all contributes to your fluids whilst cooling you down centrally.
- Have your feet soaking in a plastic basin of cold water.
- Lastly, and don’t freak out because it works! Buy a cooling mat from a pet shop and put in on your chair or in bed. It has a special gel in it that keeps dogs from overheating and works for us too!