Who are we?
The Wanganui Multiple Sclerosis Society is a non-profit organisation employing a part time field worker and a part time office administrator. Our society was incorporated in may 1989, is registered with the Charities Commission, and is also GST registered.
We receive approximately 20 percent of our operating costs from the Ministry Of Health, the remaining 80 percent we must source ourselves. We rely heavily on the goodwill of the public through donations of money and/or time, and on various Trusts and other organisations such as NZ Lotteries, COGS, Pub Charities, etc.
We also hold fundraising activities including an annual street appeal, raffles and sausage sizzles.
Heather James – Our Field Worker
I was born and raised in Taranaki and moved to Wanganui to do my nursing training in 1975 and never left. I love it here in Wanganui. After a couple of years in the hospital left to become a Practice Nurse with a local GP and stayed there for 25 years. I then had a 10 year stint as a community Hospice Nurse with Hospice Whanganui and since 2016 have been working in aged care.
I have a strong affinity with Multiple Sclerosis having been diagnosed with it in 1984 and was on the committee for the MS Society when it first began. I have been a lucky PwMS having had no further trouble since my diagnosis. All those years ago I never thought I would be back as fieldworker but hey, life is like that!
My husband Bill and I enjoy vintage care rallying in my 1966 MGB roadster and on motorbikes which include a Triumph Bonneville and Norton Commando. Bill also races a 1952 AJS Factory racer in the classic meetings and we have been around New Zealand and over to a couple of circuits in Australia. I also have a labradoodle who is now 14 years old. She loves her walks and I also enjoy this time of getting out in the fresh air and meeting other canines. I also love music, reading and sharing time with family and friends.
Heather James, RN
Fieldworker MS Wanganui