MS Wanganui provide a free field worker service to people with multiple sclerosis, their families and their carers, and includes:
- working with people newly diagnosed with MS on a one-to-one basis
- offering up-to-date knowledge of MS and its management
- providing advocacy and support
- offering counselling and referrals to appropriate agencies
- Supporting partners, carers, families, friends, health professionals, employers and workmates
- facilitating groups for people newly diagnoses and their partners, carers, children, workmates
- offering assessment facilitation
- providing social contact, for those who want it, with other people with MS, on either a group or individual basis
- leasing with other services such as home based care providers, community health services, counsellors, health professionals and work and income to coordinate interventions to meet client needs
- carrying out total mobility assessments
- applications for grants and scholarships for clients.
We continue to work on improving our partnerships with health professionals and community groups in our region, and to increase and enhance the services we can provide to our members.